Social and Behavioral Sciences IRB (IRB-C)
The Institutional Review Board for social and behavioral science research involving human subjects (IRB-C) has the responsibility of reviewing proposed research projects to ensure that the privacy and welfare of the research participants are adequately protected. All faculty and students engaged in such research should submit requests for IRB approval prior to beginning their work. This requirement applies to all such research, regardless of the source of support. Faculty at the Georgetown University Medical Center who are conducting social and behavioral research should make their submissions to this body.
The Social and Behavioral Sciences Institutional Review Board is composed of faculty affiliated with the variety of social science disciplines at Georgetown. It also includes representatives from the community. A full membership roster is available at IRB-C Board Members page.
Much of the research done in the social and behavioral sciences may fall into one or more of the categories for exemption. Exempt determinations should be made by the IRB.
This site is intended to provide you with the information you will need to determine whether a review is needed, what sort of review is appropriate, and what procedures should be followed in submitting an application.
For more information about the IRB-C Committee, please contact the Institutional Review Board at (202) 687-1506.
Useful Tools, Resources, And Related Links
- Committee C Board Member Roster
- Committee C Roster Archive 2015 – Present
- Calendar of Meetings (Website)
- Committee C Calendar of Meetings (PDF)
- IRB 101
- Exempt Review Categories
- Expedited Review Categories
- OHRP Decision Charts – IRB Review
- International Research
- Classroom Projects and IRB Review
- Student-Conducted Research
- Training Requirements
- Templates and Forms (e.g. Protocol Templates, Informed Consent Templates,etc.)
- Georgetown-Medstar IRB System Information and Resources
Committee C IRB Meetings for the 2020
Official Calendar Year
Calendar of Meetings for Committee C (PDF version).
The following is a list of the Social and Behavioral Sciences IRB Committee C meeting dates for the 2020 official calendar year. Committee C meetings are regularly scheduled for the Second Friday of each month from 11:30 AM- 2:30 PM for all meetings except:
- The March Meeting which will be held on the third Friday of the month at the regularly scheduled time.
- The April Meeting which will be held on the third Friday of the month at the regularly scheduled time.
- The June, July, and August Meetings which will be held via Zoom (videoconference) at the regularly scheduled time.
- The September and October Meetings will be held from 1:30 PM – 4:30 PM.
The schedule applies to submissions requiring review at a convened IRB meeting (full board review). Submissions that may be eligible for expedited review, exempt review, or non-human subject research determinations are reviewed on a rolling basis upon submission of all necessary materials and are not required to meet submissions deadlines for review by the convened IRB (full board review). For more information regarding the different levels of review, please see the section titled “What are the different review options?” on the IRB 101 page. Please note final determinations regarding the level of review required are made by the IRB.
Meeting Deadlines, Dates, Locations, and Times
Deadlines for IRB Committee Meetings are on the same day of the week as the committee meeting and fall three weeks prior to the scheduled meeting date. Any applications that you believe may require review at a full board meeting must be submitted by the meeting’s corresponding deadline to be considered for inclusion on the meeting agenda. Due to holidays, room availability, or the academic calendar, not all meetings follow the regular schedule, location and/or time and are marked by an asterisk ( * ) in the table.