Human Subject Protection Training
Certification that one has completed training in human subject protection in research is required of all Georgetown University faculty, investigators, study coordinators and other individuals directly involved in human subject research. An individual may complete this training, which must be updated every three years, by either:
- Completing the
on-linecourse from CollaborativeIRB Training Initiative (CITI). You will need to register and create your own username and password. Please select Georgetown University as your institution. You can print out a certificate upon completion for your own records. CITI automatically keeps track of Georgetown University participants and profiles us with completion data. Please see directions on adding a course in CITI below.
NOTE: Responsible Conduct of Research does not meet Human Subject Protection (HSP) Training or HIPAA training requirements.
- Taking the Clinical Research Training (NIH) course. Upon
completionthis on-line program prints a completion certificate.
If completing a Human Subject Protection training module in CITI:
- After logging in, click the “Add
courseor update your learner groups for Georgetown University” on the “Main Menu” page.
- You will be redirected to a page titled “Select Curriculum – Georgetown University”, scroll down to Question 1 and select Group 1 or Group 2 (Reference chart for appropriate selection).
- Question 3 and Question 5 must be answered, however, you are not required to take these courses, unless directed otherwise.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Submit”. You will now be able to complete the Human Subject Protection training module.
NOTE: Please refer to the screenshots below for further information on choosing the correct CITI training course to fulfill the HSP Training requirement.