Additions and Revisions of Export Restrictions Imposed on Restricted Entities, March 2, 2023
Posted in Export and Sanctions Updates | Tagged China, Export Control, International Collaboration, Restricted Entity List, Russia, Sanctions
The Office of Research Oversight’s U.S. Sanctions and Export Controls Update:
Source Agency: Bureau of Industry and Security, Department of Commerce.
Document Number: 2023-04558
The Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) amended the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) by adding 37 entities to the Restricted Entity List. The Entity List identifies entities for which there is reasonable cause to believe, based on specific and articulable facts, that the entities have been involved, are involved, or pose a significant risk of being or becoming involved in activities contrary to the national security or foreign policy interests of the United States.
The entities are listed under the destinations of Belarus (1), Burma (3), the People’s Republic of China (China) (28), Pakistan (4), Russia (1), and Taiwan (1). This final rule also modifies 10 existing entries on the Entity List under the destination of China.
License requirements have been applied to all listed entities, for all items subject to the EAR (or certain items on a case-by-case basis). License applications for most of the listed entities will be reviewed under a presumption of denial by the U.S. Government.
The following list contains some, not all, of the entities listed in this final rule:
- National Research Center for Parallel Computer Engineering and Technology;
- Qingdao National Laboratory of Marine Science and Technology;
- Harbin Engineering University & Harbin Institute of Technology;
- Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics (BUAA);
- Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics;
- Nanjing University of Science and Technology;
- Wuxi Institute of Advanced Technology;
- Rayscience Optoelectronics Innovation;
- Northwestern Polytechnical University;
- Forensic Genomics International;
- Beijing Institute of Technology;
- BGI Tech Solutions (Hongkong);
- Sichuan University;
- Tianjin University; and
- BGI Research.
For more Entity information on this final rule, to include, Country, Entity, Addresses, Aliases, License Requirement, and License Review Policy view the complete list on the Federal Register.
The entities listed in this final rule have been identified due to their involvement in one of the following restricted activities:
- Supplying items subject to the EAR to Iran’s Paradazan System Namad Arman (PASNA), an entity listed by the U.S. Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) as a Specially Designated National (SDN);
- Contributions to ballistic missile programs of concern;
- Involvement in unsafeguarded nuclear activities and missile-related activities;
- Collection and analysis of genetic data contributing to monitoring and surveillance by the government of China, which has been utilized in the repression of ethnic minorities in China;
- Providing surveillance equipment and services to Burma’s military regime, enabling it to carry out human rights abuses through the tracking and identification of target individuals and groups;
- Contributed to Russia’s military and/or defense industrial base; or
- Contributed to China’s military modernization efforts.
Contact Export Control at ExportControl@georgetown.edu if you are or intend to collaborate with any of the listed entities, or for more information on restrictions on exports to persons on the Entity List or other lists.